Mini Pumpkin Loaves: 4 Ways
I love quick breads, they are so versatile, comforting, and are great for making healthy ingredient swaps. Fall has arrived so of course a pumpkin bread is necessary. Once again, I used my favorite recipe (my mom's) as inspiration, and changed ingredients to make a healthier, more nourishing bread.
This one is especially yummy: SO tender, perfectly sweet, and has a fantastic texture. Ryan had no idea it was one of my healthy recipes - so I'd say it's a huge success! I couldn't decide which mix-ins I wanted to use, so I used these awesome mini loaf pans I have, and did 4 different variations.
I did mini chocolate chip (when you use mini chips, you don't need to use as much chocolate!), plain, pecan, and my pumpkin spice granola mixed with cacao nibs for a spin on trail mix. All four were winners. I love to lightly toast a couple of slices and top with a little bit of butter, greek yogurt, or nut butter for a perfect snack on it's own, in addition to eggs or Greek yogurt for breakfast, or as a slightly sweet dessert. Some other great mix-in options are craisins, walnuts or almonds, white chocolate chips, dried ginger, and pepitas. If you don't have mini loaf pans, one batch of this batter will fill one large loaf pan.
-1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
-1/2 oil of choice
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-1/2 cup flax meal
-1 cup vanilla protein powder
-2 tsp. baking soda
-2 tsp. pumpkin spice
-1/2 tsp. ginger
-1 tsp. salt
-1 cup desired mix-ins (1/4 cup per loaf)
1. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, oil, and vanilla until fully combined.
2. Add all dry ingredients, and fold gently until just barely combined. Be sure not to over-mix.
3. Separate batter evenly into four separate bowls and add mix-ins, saving appx. 1 T for sprinkling on top.
4. Pour batter into greased mini loaf pans.
5. Bake in a 350-degree oven for approximately 30 minutes, until golden brown and firm to the touch.
Nutrition Information - makes 4 mini loaves, each producing 5 slices. 1 serving = 1 slice.
135 calories, 8.1g fat, 8.8g carbohydrates, 6.25g protein.